Explore ParentPowered’s rigorous process for ensuring every program is highly accessible for all families.
Accessibility in Action
Every message we deliver is an opportunity to connect with a family member. To inspire them and activate a learning moment. And it’s an opportunity we’re careful to honor with a high quality, easy to use program.
Each ParentPowered curriculum begins with our team writing a complete, standards-aligned parenting curriculum. Then we begin the process of using research-based strategies to crystallize it into bite-sized steps that inspire action.
Steps we take include:
- Building activities around the people, places, and things most likely to be found in every family’s life when creating our text messages.
- Writing every message to a 3rd grade reading level, using a strengths-based approach to every message.
- Investing in cultural alignment for each of our 10+ languages, with content versioned as appropriate to ensure activities resonate for every community.
- Consulting with multiple experts, to ensure we’ve considered the real lived experience of the diverse families we serve.
We build new skills on top of known skills, ensuring that we’re setting families up for success with each activity we suggest.
We begin with foundational skills like following a child’s lead as they learn, engaging in language rich exchanges and reading routines, encouraging mathematical thinking and a positive sense of self. From there we help families support kids in building grade level standards.
Each week we orient families around a WHAT, a WHY, and a HOW. WHAT skill is their child developing. WHY it is important. HOW they can help build the skill at home.
Each message is carefully written to give families an “I can do it!” feeling. We want every parent to feel inspired and totally capable of supporting their child’s learning with each message they receive. In everything we do, we leverage parents’ strengths and unique relationship with their child. Activities are baked into families’ everyday routines, and never require additional supplies, just the people, places and things in families’ lives.
In addition, we continuously seek out family input, in alignment with the Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family-School Partnerships. Quarterly surveys, listening sessions, and interviews are important to ensuring we continue meeting families where they are.
We know that content is only useful when it’s used. So in everything we create, we ask ourselves how we can make it easy for families to use it. Which is why we chose text message as our approach to reaching families. With more than 95% of American adults under 50 using text messaging, it’s the single easiest way to support families wherever they are.
Because our messages live as a thread on their phones, text also allows families to quickly scroll through all of our messages to find the right one when they need it.
And as we create additional services we’ve also taken an access-first approach. This includes:
- translating our programs into 10+ languages,
- creating Core, Trauma-Informed, and developmental screening-driven Personalized Learning supports,
- versioning to meet unique community needs, and
- creating Workshop content that can be delivered in the way that best suits individual partners.
We also look for opportunities to make it easy for every education provider to get ParentPowered programs into families’ hands.
As a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) we have made a commitment to making a positive social impact. As a PBC, we have raised grant funds that allow us to provide ParentPowered programs to economically disadvantaged communities. To date, we’ve funded over $2 million in grants to bring accessible family engagement to tens of thousands of students across the country.
Finally, we create multiple ways to enroll families, because research shows that getting families started can be the biggest barrier of all.
ParentPowered Core Languages
* Chinese: Our content is translated into Simplified Chinese.
ParentPowered Trauma-Informed Languages
*Dari and Pashto are available through 3rd grade.
ParentPowered Personalized Learning Languages
See Why Educators Love ParentPowered
Take a self-paced tour of the ParentPowered programs to answer questions like:
- How does the evidence-based methodology work?
- What do the families receive each week?
- Which skills and content areas are covered in each curricula?
- How do the curricula support classroom learning?
- What does the implementation process look like?
- What kind of data and reporting is included in the program?
Take the Tour
Read More About Our Impact
Partnerships were a cornerstone to CKBB success in bringing ParentPowered to nearly 5000 Cleveland families. “The ability to say 'we’ve done the vetting and it won’t cost you anything’ has been really important.”
“We need to invest in things that parents don’t have to show up for, things that show up for parents in their homes.”
By Mary Westervelt, director of marketing and communications Literacy doesn’t occur in isolation. That simple...
By Mary Westervelt, director of marketing & communications Dr. Wai‘ale‘ale Sarsona has a mission: to increase...